Monday, March 5, 2012

Peaceful Protest Can Free Palestine - NYTimes.com

I am posting this later than I had intended because I was eager to submit a letter to the editor of theNew York Times before I finished my post.  Of course, where know where good intentions brings us, don't we?

In any event, the this op-ed, written by Mustafa Barghouthi, let's us know from the very first words where the writer truly stands about Israel, Palestinians and "peaceful" protest.
OVER the past 64 years, Palestinians have tried armed struggle; we have tried negotiations; and we have tried peace conferences.
Any pretense that he was interested in peace were belied by that sentence.  Reader - Israel was established 64 years ago!  1948, when Israel was created is his point of reference, not 1967 when the occupation of the territories began.

My letter to the editor was short and, I believe, accurately pointed out that no where in Barghouthi's piece did he acknowledge that Israelis have a right to live in peace in their own homeland.

While all letter writers believe theirs is worthy of inclusion in the Times, I must admit that the letters selected did a better job than I in making the fallacy of the op-ed so obvious.

I invite you, belatedly, to read the full op-ed, Peaceful Protest Can Free Palestine - NYTimes.com, then read the letters to the editor that were published.

Well, that's what I think.  What about you?

Stephen M. Flatow alisa terror victims

No comments: