Friday, January 30, 2009

President Obama and the Declaration of Independence

Maybe I'm sensitive, but I couldn't believe my ears when I heard President Obama misquote the Declaration of Independence during the signing of the "Lilly Ledbetter Act."

In his introductory remarks, the President said,

It is fitting that with the very first bill I sign - the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act - we are upholding one of this nation's first principles: that we are all created equal and each deserve a chance to pursue our own version of happiness.


I always thought, and I confirmed it today, that the Declaration of Independence says we are entitled "to the pursuit of happiness." That doesn't mean that our pursuit is not without limitations imposed by society, but the President's version would give us the right to exceed those limitations imposed by society.

Hairsplitting? I do not think so. I think that when the President of the United States speaks, his words must be measured and deliberate for his words are front page stuff of the highest order.

Read more here.

No comments: